Sunday, 28 September 2014
- Instant Noodles
- Hot milo
- Chicken Flavoured Rice
- Grilled Chicken Drumlets
- Konnyaku Fruit Jelly
- Small Cupcakes
- Nestum and Chocolate Chip cookies
- Baked Rice
- Steamed Chocolate Pudding
- Custard Sauce
- Tuna Quiche
- Fruit Custard Tartlet
- Spaghetti Bolognese
- Chicken and Vegetable Kebab
- Mini Cheesecake
- Chicken Lasagna
- Apple/ Peach Crumble
Information of Sister
Recommended for her:
RDA for calcium: 1000mg
RDA for Energy: 2380 kcal/day
As she plays squash which is a vigorous physical activity she requires more energy as compared to other 11 year olds who do light or moderate physical activity.
- 2 eggs
- Chicken Breast
- Spring Onion
- 75g Grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon of tomato ketchup
- 1 to 2 tablespoon of Campbell Mushroom Soup
- 2 Tablespoon Marigold Low-fat Milk
- Parsley (for presentation)
- 100g Plain Flour
- ¼ tablespoon table salt
- 50g Butter
- 2- 2½ tablespoon cold water
- Chopping Board
- Butter Knife
- Medium Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Baking Tins
- Baking Tray
- Serving Plate
1. Set oven to bake 'blind' at 180 degrees
2.Lightly grease 4 small tins
3. Sift flour and salt into medium bowl
4. Chop butter into small pieces into the medium bowl (Leave butter in the fridge and take it out only when needed so that it does not melt)
5. Rub in butter with flour using fingertips till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
6. Add enough cold water to mix into a semi-stiff dough using a butter knife
7. Knead lightly (do not over handle)
8. Divide the pastry and line the base and sides in 4 tins with it.
9. Prick the base of the pastry and bake it for 10 mins
1. Heat up tap water
2. Wash the vegetables
3. Chop the cauliflower and broccoli
4. Put the cauliflower and broccoli into the boiling water and let it cook
5. Chop the rest of the vegetables and put them into the small bowl
6. Wash the chicken breast and chop it into small pieces.
7. Remove broccoli and cauliflower and put in the small bowl
8. Place the chicken breast pieces into the hot water
9. After the chicken is done, drain it then mix it in the small bowl together with all the vegetables sauce, milk, cheese and egg
10. Distribute it into the pastry tins and place it into the oven again for about 10 mins until the filling is set and golden brown.
Choice of Ingredients
Tomatoes, Cauliflower and Broccoli:
The original recipe only had tomatoes and onions, but in order to meet her energy level required, i increased the amount of vegetables in the quiche, which also made it healthier.
-Fruit and vegetables are naturally low in energy, fat, and salt. They are also wonderful sources of fibre and many vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals - natural components in fruit and vegetables that offer health benefits beyond nutrition.
Low Fat Milk:
- Even though UHT milk kills most of the disease-producing microorganisms in milk while preserving most of the nutritional value of milk, many vitamins in Group A and B are lost as well.
- In order to provide my sister with the vitamins that she needs, i used Low Fat Milk instead. As compared to normal milk and UHT milk, low fat milk helps lower the risk of obesity and related diseases such as diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension, and cardiovascular disorders.
- Chicken breast is the healthiest option out of all the other parts as it is richer in protein which is important for immune function, cell regrowth and muscle building.
- Chicken breast is also lower in fats, cholesterol and calories hence making it much healthier.
What was good or what went right? Why?
- I thought that i had good time management as i was able to keep within the timing and was able to wash everything in order for the student to use.
- I also thought that my cleanliness was not bad as my table was neat and tidy, hence it was very easy for me to clean up and find the things that i needed.
What was bad?
- I forgot about the pastry while making the filling but luckily the time only overshot by abit and the pastry was not all burnt.
What could have been improved and how could it have been improved? Why?
- I thought that i should have added more variety in the taste of the quiche, as after tasting it, it still tasted like the one with only ketchup with a very faint taste of the mushroom, even though i added 2 tablespoons of the campbell mushroom soup into it as well.
What have you learnt?
- I have learnt how to manage my station and time well and also, i have learnt how easy some dishes are to cook.
Photo credits: Xueli
Gifs: Google images